Sunday, December 25, 2011

This Is How Latkes Should Be

I sometimes really miss Jewish food. There are times when I yearn for my grandma's potato latkes, but alas I will not eat white potatoes or the canola oil I'm sure she uses to cook them in. So in the spirit of Chanukah, I chose to make my own, in a better way. And they are gluten free, where as most latkes use regular flour, bleh.

Sweet Potato Jicama Chestnut Latkes
-90g purple sweet potatos, grated with a cheese grater
-50g graded Jicama (Yambean)
-1 tsp artichoke flour (can substitute with whatever you like)
-2 roasted chestnuts chopped
-1 jumbo egg, beaten


In a medium bowl soak the shredded ingredients for 10 minutes. Drain the water and then mix in the jumbo egg, flour, and chopped chestnuts. Mix thoroughly and then heat some coconut oil in a pan. Drop some of the mixture in the pan to form a small patty and cook until browned on both sides and no longer wet in the middle. 



I'm kvetching for these latkes

I will say that artichoke flour is a great gluten free flour, it is incredibly expensive and hard to find. I found it at an Italian store in the suburbs of Chicago. It also is tricky because it has to be combined with other flours when baking. 

I don't do apple sauce, but I like to dip them in a parboiled egg, with the yolk being raw. Yummy and maybe some homemade catsup/ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment