Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Fruitarian Diet-The Grossest Diet Ever, My Story of Messed Up Eating

Three years ago I embarked on a raw vegan diet. There is something so appealing about raw veganism to me. I don’t know what it is, but it represents cleanliness. Several years back I met a boy and I liked this boy, well I was devastated when he didn’t like me back. And thinking back to this situation I was an immature idiot. Why would anyone be devastated over anyone else unless it happened to be the love of your life. I was young, impressionable and this sent me into a diet tailspin. Before this time I was a pescetarian, albeit a very unhealthy one. I ate Boca burgers multiple times a day, every meal had soy and I’m sure it was GMO, as there is no non-GMO in my opinion. I also was a Splenda addict to the point that if I wanted a sweet taste I would eat packets of Splenda by themselves. Splenda is chlorinated sugar, so essentially I was eating sweetened chlorine, awesome. Anyhow I was so upset that I started compulsively eating peanut butter. Every week I would buy one jar of PB and Company cinnamon raisin peanut butter, Better n’Peanut Butter, and chocolate soy nut butter. I consumed per week just in nut butters, 523 grams of fat per week which comes to 74.4 grams of fat per day, which equals excessive weight gain. The worst part is my mother, my best friend, did not tell me I was getting chunky and looking bloated. I was eating other food at the time and among that was the Sweet n’ Salty trail mix from Trader Joe’s, which I would mix in a food processor with peanut brittle and Edy’s Ice Cream.

Six months later, 35 guys later, I decided I needed a change. I was hating my body, so I decided on raw veganism. That diet was boring. Not to mention I got food poisoning once a month. I even threw up while I was on a date and it was always from bad sprouts. I made the grossest food and I would binge on it because I was always hungry. I made “spaghetti,” consisting of ground sundried tomatoes over alfalfa sprouts. Then one magical day I discovered the Larabar. How I loved the sweet taste, the Cashew Cookie was my favorite. I like the sweetness and that is when my fruitarian diet began. I decided that if I were going to continue with this dumb ass diet I might as well enjoy what I’m eating. For five months I ate all melon, one week was honeydew, the next was watermelon, followed by cantaloupe and then papaya. My shit turned red and I piled on more weight in muffin top form. In an effort to lose weight I got colonics once a month, but the moment I got upset about another guy I would stand in my kitchen and binge on watermelon. I gained so much weight, I was turning into a melon, the very food, I was eating. You are what you eat! I got so sick of some of this food I would sometimes cheat and buy farm raised tilapia from the Jewel and fry them in a pan with Smucker Grape Jam. I drank gallons of carrot juice and would mix them in my food processor with cashew butter and agave nectar. Little did I know I was probably pushing myself into a pre-diabetic state.
I decided to revisit my moderate pescetarian diet and eliminate all soy. I started losing some weight, but my calories were too low. It wasn’t until I became severely overtrained after severe calorie restriction and overexercising that I changed to the way I eat now. I upped my calories, started incorporating lean meats in the form of poultry, bison, elk, venison and grass fed beef. I also discovered weight training and since then the only running I do is sprinting, the only piece of fitness equipment I use for working out is the treadmilll (for walking and sprinting) and most of the time I use a jump rope for my cardio or run stairs. I would say the Fruitarian diet taught me that being super restrictive is not a good choice for having a happy existence. The entire time I ate that way I felt guilty for all of the binges and then I also was constantly inflamed from the sugar and tired from blood sugar swings. I am positive the Fruitarian diet led to my overtraining syndrome due to horrible mineral deficiencies. I also didn’t lose weight from it either, but rather gained weight.
To this day it is extremely difficult for me to eat a piece of fruit. The only fruit I will eat is citrus, berries or an apple, maybe a piece of a banana. This diet ruined melon for me forever, I can’t even be in the same room as a papaya.


No comments:

Post a Comment